Supporting the local community has always been at the heart of our business and over the years we have helped and partnered a number of good local causes.
Our friends at Dream-A-Way and Hospiscare took time out of their busy schedules to talk about how important local business support is to their respective charities.
“Knowing we have the support of a well respected local business and that this support will be ongoing is invaluable.” Richard Cousins, Corporate Relationships Manager, Hospiscare.
If you live in Exeter, Mid or East Devon, Hospiscare is your local, independent adult hospice charity. Should you or a loved one need care for any type of terminal illness, its professional team of doctors and nurses are there to help.
Hospiscare was formed in 1982 with two community nurses and now has centres in Exeter, Honiton and Tiverton. The number of community nurses has increased to 28 and last year the charity cared for 2,225 patients, their families and loved ones, with its 24 hour telephone advice line supporting 22,037 calls.
It costs Hospiscare £6.4m a year to provide their extensive variety of services. Of this, only 20% is funded by the NHS, with the remaining 80% needed to run the charity being raised through a variety of means, including Hospiscare retail services, grants, gifts in Wills, a wide range of fundraising events, and from community and business support.
Working with Wilkinson Grant
Hospiscare is fortunate to receive support from an array of local businesses and Wilkinson Grant’s relationship dates back over 10 years.
As well as continually supporting lots of smaller fundraising events, Wilkinson Grant is the main sponsor of our ‘Men’s Walk’ which in 2016 raised over £45,000 for the charity.
Roger is a keen supporter of this event and his contribution goes way beyond just the sponsorship. He is willing to help in any way he can, from appearing in promotional photographs, entering teams of walkers from Wilkinson Grant and making suggestions on how future events could be further improved. He also really understands the difference that money raised from events such as the Men’s Walk will make to the care we provide to local patients and their families.
Wilkinson Grant apply the same level of drive and enthusiasm to all of the events they help us with and we feel very fortunate to have such a supportive corporate partner behind us. Roger and his team act as great ambassadors and knowing we have the ongoing support of a well respected business is invaluable.
Roger and his team have also helped to open doors to many additional opportunities via their extensive corporate network and we are sincerely grateful for this.
With Wilkinson Grant it is very much a collaborative relationship and you get a real sense of a genuine willingness and desire to help.
Dream-A-Way is a charity that helps people living with physical and learning difficulties – in Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly – gain access to a much needed holiday. Whether it’s fulfilling a lifetime dream, experiencing great opportunities or just having ‘time out’ from daily routines, Dream-A-Way help by providing grants towards holidays or providing day trips.
People of all ages and from around the South West are helped in every way possible to have a Dream-A-Way holiday and since the charity’s inception in 1993, over 12,000 people have benefited. In 1999, Dream-A-Way purchased their first luxury caravan at the Haven Holiday Park at Devon Cliffs, Sandy Bay, near Exmouth in Devon and in 2016, the charity purchased its twenty second luxury holiday home to help even more people to have a Dream-A-Way holiday.
Last year Dream-A-Way helped nearly 2000 people to enjoy a very special experience including over 300 taken on wonderful days out, over 1200 guests given caravan holidays at the beautiful Devon seaside and more than 100 people have fulfilled their Dream Holiday.
Working with Wilkinson Grant
Several years ago we met Roger Wilkinson who willingly supported our charity ball with both staff volunteers and funds. This was one of our main fundraising events and helped secure around £15,000 on the night.
Since then, our relationship has grown and Dream-A-Way has continually received both financial and moral support from Roger and his sterling team.
Our charity – like so many other good causes – has been built on the support from local companies like Wilkinson Grant and without their support we would not be able to help as many local people with physical or learning difficulties.
We find working with Wilkinson Grant really easy and it’s always a lot of fun. They’re always so accommodating and there’s a real sense that everyone genuinely wants to help and will do whatever it takes to make the event or activity a roaring success.
Throughout the time I have worked with Roger, it is clear to see he is a philanthropic person and as well as being a successful businessman, he also enjoys giving his and his company’s support to Dream-A-Way.